Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March Mac Attack Entry!




Firstly, thank you again to Jamie and Deeba for facilitating this fun activity! The theme for Mac Tweets' Mac Attack 5 is "Spring Fling", and the inspiration is to be spring flowers. The first thing that always comes to mind for me when I think about spring/summer is lavender. I love everything about it. How something so simple can be so impactful is amazing to me.

I knew I wanted lavender macarons, but I got the idea to pair that flavor with fresh orange from Cannelle et Vanille.

Lavender Macarons
By Dulce Doll

1 cup plus 1 tbsp. confectioners sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. ground almonds
2 large egg whites, aged 24 hours
5 tbsp. granulated sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
Blue or lavender gel food coloring
Dried lavender

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment, and have a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/4-inch tip ready.

In a food processor, pulse together the powdered sugar, almonds, and cocoa, until a fine powder.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape. While whipping, beat in the granulated sugar until very stiff and firm, about two minutes. Add orange zest and a very small amount of food coloring, only enough to very slightly tint the color. Whip again for a few seconds to incorporate zest and color.

Carefully fold in the dry ingredients, in two batches, with a flexible rubber spatula. When the mixture is just smooth and there are no streaks of white, stop folding and scrape the batter into the pastry bag (standing the bag in a tall glass helps if you're alone).

Pipe the batter on the prepared baking sheets in 1-inch circles, evenly spaced one-inch apart. Sprinkle tops with dried lavender.

Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on the counter top to flatten, then bake 8 to 12 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool completely, then remove from baking sheet.





Fresh Orange Buttercream
By Dulce Doll

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Confectioners sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange

Cream butter until smooth. Add vanilla and continue beating to incorporate. Start mixing in confectioners sugar, 1/4-cup at a time until you have desired consistency. Beat in orange zest.


6 comments:

  1. Oooh I've been thinking about orange, too, and your macs sound so delicious! And they are really beautiful! This is a great, springtime addition to our Mactweets line up! Thanks for baking with us. (I may snitch your yummy orange buttercream recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! This macaron is so fancy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Hate You… I WANT A DAMM MAC! MMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh gorgeous Cristin. I saw these at Aran's too, but in my quest for feet exhausted all my floral flavours! Yours are cest magnifique! happy Macaron day my friend. Thank you for finding feet with us at Mac tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful macs. Love the lavendar flowers on top. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about your mac's! The shells are beautiful and I've always wanted to try making something from lavendar--but the buttercream put it over the edge, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete