Monday, January 11, 2010

English Toffee



I never realized how easy it would be to MAKE my own English Toffee! It's something I treat myself to at the chocolate shop sometimes, but I never think about how it's made. At Christmas, one of my co-workers bought in some homemade Almond Roca to share and it was so delicious, I knew I had to attempt this myself. Mine ended up tasting similar to a Skor bar, but WAY better - yum!

Now the next part, finding a recipe for it! Much easier said than done in this case for whatever reason, so I opted to doctor a couple and hope for the best (something I did twice today in the kitchen, more to come on that!). Fortunately, given my earlier experience making caramel for that fabulous Caramel Tart in an earlier post, my instincts were right, and I was successful!

Again, and I can not express how strongly I feel about using the BEST quality chocolate you can find. It's important to have the best (affordably) you can find of any ingredient, but chocolate is one that you just can't cheap out on! One of the recipes I found called for a bag of chocolate chips - imagine! Sorry, I'm such a chocolate snob!

English Toffee
By Dulce Doll

1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. light corn syrup
Pinch of salt
7 oz. best quality chocolate

Prepare a baking sheet with parchment, set aside. Affix candy thermometer to the side of a deep, heavy-bottomed pot.

Over a separate pot with boiling water, set a heat-proof bowl with your chocolate inside. Simmer and allow chocolate to melt.


Melt butter over low temperature. Add sugar and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring as needed until boiling. Add water and corn syrup and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until your thermometer reads 300 degrees, and candy becomes hard when dropped in cold water for a test.

Pour mixture out onto prepared baking sheet and spread by tipping pan until toffee reaches about 1/4-inch thickness. Allow to cool slightly and pour prepared melted chocolate over top, spreading to coat evenly with the back of a spatula.


Refrigerate until cooled completely and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks incredible! It's exactly like the stuff I buy at high-end chocolatiers, only you made it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooh I love this. have to make it soon! How absolutely wonderfl!!

    ReplyDelete