Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rainbow Confetti Cupcakes



These cupcakes were super fun and cute too. They'd be great for a birthday party or for a project with kids. You could use any basic white cake or vanilla cake recipe and just mix in colored sprinkles at the end..

I was really excited to try out my new cups like I saw on this blog. Definitely don't fill the cups any more than 2/3-full or they'll spill over and make a mess, mine came dangerously close. Check out the website, she has some amazing recipes and photos.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups AP flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1 egg plus 1 egg white, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. colored sprinkles

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with papers.

In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat sugar and butter until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla.

Add flour mixture into wet ingredients in three additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in sprinkles.



Fill cupcake liners 2/3-full. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.


I chose my old stand-by chocolate buttercream for icing. I tried piping it, but my bag broke. There isn't really a recipe I follow, I start with about 1/8 cup softened unsalted butter, 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa powder and start creaming. Once butter is incorporated, add milk, 1 tbsp. at a time until you have the right consistency. To make a bigger bowl, add more icing sugar, cocoa and milk. You can also add extra cocoa to make it really chocolatey, I always do.




No comments:

Post a Comment