Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hmmmm... What To Do With A Giant Zucchini?



Ah, summer! A friend gave me a huge zucchini earlier this week (it's bigger than my dog!), and I've been trying my best to use it in as many different ways possible. Something that clearly should have been picked long before it was, has actually turned out to be quite a fun project for me. So far I've made fritters (twice, they were awesome), stirfry, oven roasted with tomatoes, and finally muffins.

It took me a while to find the right recipe to bake with, they all ask for a barrage of spices, chocolate, nuts, etc. I'm not crazy about some nuts and almost everything I found called for walnuts or pecans. I was looking for something a lot simpler, so as not to stray too far away from the main ingredient. I ended up choosing one that has the spice flavor I love - cinnamon! - and adapted it a little to my own preferences.

They turned out light and moist, with lots of flavor, perfect for breakfast or a tea snack.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray or line with papers a 12-muffin tin.

In a small bowl, beat together the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and thick, about 3 minutes. Stir in the zucchini.

Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, do not overwork.

Fill cups about 2/3 full and bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.

Makes exactly 12 muffins.




No comments:

Post a Comment