Monday, August 31, 2009

Blackberry Jam



It's been a million year since I did any kind of preserving, but there are giant blackberry bushes very close to my house so I've been wandering down every few days throughout August and collecting berries. Now I have a freezer full and decided today was the day to do something with them. Or some of them, at least.

Coincidentally, blackberry is one of my favorite flavors of jam, so not only will I enjoy giving it away to others, but I will enjoy some myself!

Ingredients:

4 cups blackberries, washed and picked through
4 cups granulated sugar

Sterilize your jars and lids and set aside.

Start a large pot of water to boil (for processing the jars).

Crush berries and strain out seeds, if desired. Combine berries and sugar in a medium-sized pot over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture reads 220 degrees on thermometer, or has thickened.

Pour into prepared jars and top with lids. Immerse in boiling water and process for several minutes. Let cool and store.

1 comment: