Sunday, August 30, 2009

Not Great...



Kind of disappointed today with the kitchen. Totally having an off day, dropped everything, spilled everything, twice, ruined an entire tray of lemon macaroons (I knew from the time I put them in the oven they weren't right). The only thing that worked was my lemon curd.

My great success yesterday with the chocolate macaroons diluted my thinking to the point where I assumed I could bust out two batches tonight, no problem. Wrong. I am instantly humbled.

I made some vanilla ones that turned out alright, not great, though. I think I might skip this recipe in the future. Or maybe I will try it once more, but not anytime soon.

Ingredients:

1 cup slivered almonds
2 cups powdered sugar
4 egg whites
5 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.

Process almonds in food processor until finely ground, about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar and process until very fine. Sift mixture into a bowl.

Beat egg whites on medium-low speed until frothy, increase speed to medium-high and beat until whites form medium-stiff peaks, about 2 minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar, whisking constantly until stiff, glossy peaks form. Stir in vanilla.

Transfer whites to a large bowl. Fold in almond mixture in two batches. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/2-inch piping tip. Pipe 1-inch rounds about 1/2-inch apart on baking sheets. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.

Bake until puffed and lightly colored, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before peeling off parchment.



They tasted okay, a little sweet for my liking, even with the tart curd.

I am on hiatus from macaroons...

2 comments:

  1. Awww Never Give UP!

    Macaroons Are TO DIE FOR!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, after last night I need a break from them - we're friends off until I get a baking scale to weigh the ingredients, that's how all the actual French recipes for macaroons are done. No more of this North American stuff! I'm convinced the only reason the David Liebovitz recipe worked is because he's an American... Living In Paris!!

    ReplyDelete